Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Poor Man's Cobbler Recipe

I am in the mood for something sweet for dinner tonight. A quick search of my pantry did not produce the ingredients I'd hoped for. So, instead of the chocolate chip cookies I longed for, we will be having cobbler.

This cobbler recipe is fantastic, cheap, easy, and very versatile. You can use pretty much any type of fruit. Tonight I'll be using apricots. One of my favorite variations is to use fresh picked blackberries. Yum! I hope you enjoy this cobbler as much as we do.


What You Need:
1 stick margarine
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1 (2-lb.) can sliced peaches (or fruit of your choice)

As for draining the fruit, I usually do, but my grandmother uses the same recipe and does not. So, it is just a matter of preference.

What You Do:
Preheat oven to 350. Melt the margarine in 2 quart casserole dish. Sift the sugar, flour, and baking powder; add milk and mix well. Pour over melted margarine in casserole dish. Spread the sliced peaches over the top of batter. Bake 350 for 35 to 45 minutes or until golden brown.


3 comments:

Coleens Recipes said...

This is MY kind of "go to" recipe. I love that you can make it with your own choice of fruit. I can see this hot out of the oven with cream poured over it...yummm. Thanks for the recipe Nessa.

Coleens Recipes said...

Do you drain the fruit?

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

That sounds soooo good. You guys keep posting these delicious recipes and I'm gonna be as broad as a barn :)

Steady On
Reggie Girl