Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cooking with Coconut Oil

I was recently sent a jar of Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil from Tropical Traditions to review. I've read mixed reports about whether or not coconut oil is healthy, so was pleased to receive their Virgin Coconut Oil Book, which was full of all sorts of interesting information. I highly recommend you checking this book out. This video, "How We Discovered Virgin Coconut Oil - An Interview with Brian Shilhavy, CEO Tropical Traditions" is full of interesting information as well.
Every other review of this oil I have read has stated that they were unable to taste the coconut in it. When I opened it, it smelled of coconut, so I dipped my finger in and had a taste. At this point, it just tasted like oil. The whole family did however smell and taste it in the first dish I tried it in. Most of us loved it, although dear hubby seemed to think I'd lost my mind. He is not a coconut fan though. The first recipe I made was a pasta salad and although the coconut flavor was there, I think it was a nice addition to the dish. I am anxious to try this in more recipes. I already know that I love baking with it. The neighbor cannot wait for me to make some coconut shrimp or chicken using the coconut oil. I think I am going to enjoy experimenting with it.

If you are a first time Tropical Traditions customer you can receive the book free with your first purchase. When you place an order, click on "How did you hear about us?" then choose "Referred by a friend." Then just enter this code:5488541 and the book will be added to your order free of charge!

2 comments:

lynette355 said...

did i tell you that my dad had some in his kitchen cabinets when we cleaned up his home in texas city

lynette355 said...

You won an award at
http://theysayimnuts.blogspot.com/2009/09/kreativ-blog.html